Compass Ministries, Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian non-profit organization founded in May of 2012 by Cindy Duff for the specific purpose of providing free pastoral counseling and debriefing to missionaries and their families active in the field or relocating in the Tampa Bay area. After not too long of the ministry's existence, an overwhelming need became more apparent, to provide a transition house for adult TCKs children of missionaries returning to the U.S. To mitigate the crisis of these hidden immigrants struggling with having a cross-cultural identity in a monocultural environment, Compass Ministries opened a transition house for men in cooperation with D & D Missionary Housing facilities in 2014. Sadly in 2016 at the program's growth peak, D & D closed and Compass hesitantly decided to terminate the program. In October 2020, the Compass House was reopened and restructured as Ruth House. There are plans to relaunch and revamp the Compass House for men in the future. Since 2014 Compass has had an Annual Southeastern MK Retreats for college-age MKs where MKs and TCKs from the southeast region gather to learn more about issues that make their integration into American Culture more difficult among other things like identity loss. In partnership with Interaction International, Compass staffs the Transit Lounge program - a two-week reentry seminar program for middle schoolers and high schoolers.
Our vision is to make Tampa Bay a welcoming and encouraging place for missionaries and their families. We do this by providing a healing community of volunteers, pastoral counselors and mentors at no cost to the missionaries. We also provide access to a network of cross cultural trained Christian mental health counselors to a lower cost through financial aid and financial arrangements with these professionals.
We are deeply committed to our mission to make safe communities for Third Culture Kids/Missionary Kids to connect, relate and build their lives. We do this by providing a safe place for them to catch up to their unmet needs. Discover who they are in Christ, heal their traumas and provide tools and access to resources that can help them thrive.
Our Statement of Faith
• We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
• We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and The Holy Spirit.
• We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in his bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in his personal return in power and glory.
• We believe that for the salvation of the lost and sinful people, regeneration by The Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
• We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by indwelling the Christian, is enabled to live a godly life.
• We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
• We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
• This Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our faith. The Bible itself is the sole and final source of all that we believe. We do believe, however, that foregoing Statement of faith accurately represent the teaching of the Bible, and therefore, is binding upon all directors and employees of the Corporation.